The installation of icefaces is very smooth. You don't even have to restart Netbeans 6.5 (and this without OSGI :-)) . It takes few minutes / seconds - it depends on your bandwidth (9MB). IceFaces installation enhances the web-project type, so you will get two additional choices in the "Frameworks" tab: ICEFaces and Visual Web ICEFaces. The latter choice let you design your page visually with drag and drop vrom pallette etc. - very much like woodstock. The first choice is for source editor only. Don't select both frameworks - it will not work...
- Visual Designer works really good - as already known from Woodstock.
- Page Flow designer works.
- EJB 3 injection of Stateless and Stateful Session Beans into managed beans works.
- Deployment to Glassfish v2 works.
- Declarative Data Binding (Value Binding) between ICEFaces components and JavaBeans (JPA-entities) works.
- "Start Page" support doesn not work. It generates in the web.xml something like this:
This will cause an error in case you will try to "Run" the application.
Solution: Just delete the section <welcome-file-list> and change the Page1.jsp into Page1.iface. The URL should looks like: http://localhost:8080/[WAR_NAME]/Page1.iface. If you want to "Run" your application, put the Page1.iface (or your actual welcome page) into the Relative URL box in the Properties (Run) of your project.
I lost about one hour for finding a solution for the problem above, so my overall impression is just good and not very good :-).
NEW: Online Workhop Effective WebApps without Frameworks is also coming to: MUC Airport.