UMLKit was introduced to the update manager silently. It is a new, updated and streamlined version of the already existing UML extension for netbeans. For installation go to menu: Tools --> Plugins ---> Available Plugins and type in "UML". First impressions:
- The installation package is smaller: about 7 MB
- The installation process was smooth - the UML capability was enabled on the fly, even without restarting Netbeans 6.5b
- Reverse engineering of an existing EJB 3.1 / WAR project was fast and worked well. The whole procedure (parsing, creating a new project and model) was completed in ...1 second.
Begin processing Reverse Engineering
Parsing 8 elements
Analyzing attributes & operations for 8 symbols
Resolving 6 attribute types
Integrating 8 elements
Building the query cache.
Task Successful (total time: 1 seconds)
- The usability of the diagramming was improved. (context aware actions, snap-in functionality)
- The visualization of existing model works good. All dependencies, realizations and inheritance relations were recognized.
- The performance of the diagramming functionality seems to be better.
- Some of the UML diagrams are no more supported. The mainstream diagrams, like: activity-, state-, class- and use case are still supported. I miss the deployment diagram - it was good to document e.g. cluster environments and the application servers in production environments.
- The look and feel of the diagrams was improved - it looks better.
NEW online workshop: WebStandards Igniter (online)