Java EE 7 with Oracle WebLogic Server 12.2.1 on Java 8u60 -- A Smoke Test Java EE 7 Server Smoke Of: Oracle WebLogic Server 12.2.1
Server Under Test: Oracle WebLogic Server 12.2.1 on Java 8u60
Version used: Quick Installer for Mac OSX, Windows and Linux (211 MB)
- Download: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/weblogic/downloads/wls-main-097127.html
- Download size: 221 MB (fmw_188.8.131.52.0_wls_quick_Disk1_1of1.zip)
- Installation: unzip
java -jar fmw_184.108.40.206.0_wls_quick.jar
- HD size: 565 MB
- RAM consumption: < 60 Mb after deployment
- Deployment duration: ~1-5 seconds
- Startup time: ~3 seconds
- Test: open browser, http://localhost:7001/server-smoke/, push the button 'Please don't smoke'
- Admin console: http://localhost:7001/console. The admin console provides easily accessible monitoring / performance data out-of-the-box.
Overall impression: 565 MB installation size, but surprisingly fast startup, small RAM footprint, quick deployments and there was no smoke. However, the installation could be simplified by automatically creating a default domain (=chaining the scripts).
WebLogic's Java EE 7 support was one of the FAQs I was constantly asked. A good move from Oracle to finally support the Java EE 7 standard -- Java EE 7 support not only prevents an exodus of existing customers to the competition but makes WLS an interesting new option for production deployments.
Fast startup, fast deployments and small RAM consumption make WLS also an interesting development server. WLS is also nicely integrated with NetBeans.
Tested with: Server Smoke.
Did you deploy manually with console or via mvn? Or else?
Posted by Dick on December 17, 2015 at 12:36 PM CET #