Adam Bien's Weblog
Java EE 6 Server Resin 4.0.12 - A Smoke Test
Resin 4.0 is an opensource but commercially supported, fast and easy to install Java EE 6 (WebProfile) application server. Resin is actually older than Tomcat and well known for its performance and scalability. It is actually a good interview question to ask a seasoned Java developer: "What is Resin?" :-)
- Download size (resin-4.0.12.zip): 13.1 MB
- Installation = Unzip
- Disc size: 33,8 MB after installation
- Startup: java -jar lib/resin.jar start (and java -jar lib/resin.jar stop) Is extremely fast (~2 secs).
- Deployment: copy of the ServerSmokeTest.war into resin-4.0.12/webapps. App is available under: http://localhost:8080/ServerSmokeTest
- Full deployment of ServerSmokeTest took ~1-3 secs.
- ServerSmokeTest works without any modification on Glassfish v3, JBoss 6m5, SIwpas-1.0.0-CR4 and now resin-4.0.12.
- Tested were: Stereotypes (encapsulating @Named and @RequestScoped), @RequestScoped, @Named CDI-Beans, Injection of EJB 3.1 (no interface view), into CDI bean, @Singleton,@Stateless, CDI-events, POJO-injection, Interceptors
- Resin comes with a nice web admin UI, online (http://localhost:8080/resin-doc/), and PDF documentation
- Interesting: Resin comes with own Contexts and Dependency Injection implementation (CDI) - CanDI
For more details see: http://caucho.com/resin-4.0/. Commercial 24x7 support seems to be available for resin-4.0.12 as well.
The overall impression - very good!
Java EE 7 + HTML 5 Workshops, 7th Edition: March 24th-28th, 2014, Airport Munich Tweet Follow @AdamBien