Tomcat On Steroids (on Java EE 6) = TomEE--A Server Smoke Test
Apache TomEE is an opensource, Java EE 6 WebProfile certified, easy to install Java EE 6 server.
- Download size (apache-tomee-plus-1.0.0-beta-2.zip ): 43.8 MB (it is the biggest available download. It contains the Java EE 6 WebProfile with some "full profile" functionality)
- Installation = Unzip
- Disc size: 50.9 MB after installation
- Startup: same as tomcat: ./startup.sh
- Full deployment of ServerSmokeTest took < 2 secs.
- Tested were: Stereotypes (encapsulating @Named and @RequestScoped), @RequestScoped, @Named CDI-Beans, Injection of EJB 3.1 (no interface view), into CDI bean, @Singleton,@Stateless, CDI-events, POJO-injection, Interceptors
- ServerSmokeTest works without any modification on Glassfish v3, WebLogic 12c, JBoss 7.0.2, JBoss 6m5, SIwpas-1.0.0-CR4, resin-4.0.12 and even in the openshift cloud.
First impression: good. Easy to install, fast deployment, no problems. TomEE is another reason to get rid of the complicated and bloated Plain Old Web Containers :).
Are there any compatibility issues with current applications running on regular Tomcat?
Is the community for tomee active?
Posted by itoctopus on February 02, 2012 at 09:10 PM CET #
"Are there any compatibility issues with current applications running on regular Tomcat?"
I'm not aware of any. However: with TomEE I would be more careful with the classpath :-)
"Is the community for tomee active?"
I would classify the community as hyperactive :-).
There is a lot of buzz around. I guess you could get quality support directly from the committers.
Posted by Adam Bien on February 07, 2012 at 08:07 AM CET #